Last we heard, he's up $2.6 million. Apparently, that's not enough to seduce Phil "OMGClayAiken" Galfond. He was asked whether he considered Hansen a "good player." He responded, "Yes."
... and then followed it up with, "in a game of World Class players."
That's not nice, Phil. Of course, with $2.6 million in his pocket for January, we doubt Hansen is crying about it.
Let's Go Aussie!
Those of you who have kept your ears to the ground already know that this year's Aussie Millions has launched. Nearly two dozen players have each ponied up AUD$100,000 for a chance to take home the AUD$1.2 million first prize.
Ever the high-rollers, both Dwan and Patrik Antonius strolled up to the table. Antonius coughed up $1.5 million for the buy in. Dwan, not to be shown up by a bald guy, bought in for $2 million.
They battled it out for awhile at $1,000-$2,000 blinds before other players joined. When Dwan finally took his hands away from his eyes, he was [luckily] stuck at $1.5 million while Antonius added another $300,000 to his bank.
All in a day's work.
WSOP 2009 Schedule Released!
To get us lickin' our chops, Harrah's released this year's World Series of Poker schedule. It kicks off on May 26th and the winner will be crowned in mid-November.
A couple changes from last year...
- no rebuys. We're not sure what happened here. Some folks speculate that the Harrah's officials thought the bracelets would eventually end up on eBay (our words, not theirs).
- $1,500 and $5,000 Mixed Hold’em tournaments are gone
- a $40,000 No Limit Hold’em tournament has been added to the docket. For you fans out there, the WSOP is in its 40th. The addition of the new tournament is to to commemorate the occasion.
- Gus Hansen is a whole lot richer.
- Phil Galfond has a dark side...sort of.
- Dwan dodged a bullet.
- Antonius can buy another house or three.
- WSOP 2009 is ON... (in May)!