Monday, July 16, 2007

Let's Spell This Blind Date D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R

[Canada Cal, subbing for Haley---]

Some poker stories are just too good for words, as in the case of Kathy Griffin's blind date with Mike Matusow as part of Griffin's Bravo series, "Life on the D List."

The pure concept of a blind date between these two should have sent sane people running for cover; Griffin is a publicity whore of the first order, with some of her appearances on Larry King Live putting even the likes of Robin Givens to shame, and Matusow would certainly rank right at the top of anyone's 'Stable Provider' list, wouldn't he?

With no one making the likes of Reefer Madness these years, high camp like this just has to do.

The episode's hilarities range from Griffin liking the idea of a date with Matusow because he's obviously straight and will improve her ratings with the 'straight' demographic, to Matusow repeatedly making tongue-in-cheek threats of mild violence against Griffin. Even more hilarity awaits over in the Griffin blog at the Bravo "Life on the D List" site. The first part of Griffin's multi-page recounting of the date reads as follows:

Okay, right off the bat, let's talk about my date with Mike “The Mouth” Matusow. Let’s see...I’m trying to think of a bad poker pun. How about this one: “I guess Mike and I aren’t going all in on love.” No, not quite -- let’s try another one: “Mike made me fold the pocket aces in my heart.”

Alright, screw the puns, and cut the crap: Mike Matusow is a freaky dude, and you didn’t even see the half of it. The part that didn’t make the show is that we went back to my house, Tom and his loser friends were in my dining room playing poker, and they talked Mike into playing with them. Then they made me get them Doritos and beer, so I kicked them out, and then Mike talked me into playing strip poker with him. That was a really bad idea because Mike is a professional poker player, and in like 3 minutes, he had me down to my bra and panties, which is when I said good night... And leave the damn Doritos!

No comments: